- My BODY doesn't work the same. The way my body responded to medications, stressors, internal/external stimuli, etc... cannot be looked at in a sense of how I once responded to those things. The accident changed by body so much that what I had learned about my body pre-accident (such as reactions to medications or stressors, etc...) may or may not be true... so, I pretty much am just starting back at square one again. In addition, I can't do a lot of things I could before the accident. I'm restricted by my body because I must limit my exposure to sound, lights, scents, crowds, stress, etc...
- My MIND doesn't work the same. My memory is a hit or miss. My short-term memory has improved since right after the accident, but it's still so horrible. My thought-processes don't work the same... and often just DON'T work. Sometimes I can't even follow a simple conversation. It's so frustrating to go from a mind that works so fluidly to a mind that works like it's filled with muddy clay and sticks.
- My EMOTIONS don't work the same. I can't count how many times I've just broken down in tears, since the accident. I have meltdowns over pain levels, frustration, anxiety, or nothing. I'm irritable a lot of the time. My depression and anxiety are up and down, mixed in with feelings of apathy. I often feel so out of control of my emotions that I don't even want to be around other people because I'm not sure how I'll act or respond around them.
- My PERSONALITY isn't the same. I would never have described me as very confident... but, before the accident, I knew who I was and was succeeding in my job. Now, I feel LOST. I don't even want to think about what my personality is like because I'm afraid I won't like what I see. I'm less trusting and more cynical... and I don't want to be... I'm trying not to be.
- My RELATIONSHIPS aren't the same. I've talked about relationships in previous posts (Changed Relationships and Changed Relationship, continued). My relationship with God has been a roller coaster... I'm still working to get back on track... it's difficult. My relationship with my husband has been strained and tested, but has adapted and grown stronger through this time. My relationships with those in my family have varied, but I think each person is dealing with everything the best way they can... I know that they're there for me and they love me, and that means a lot. My relationships with my friends have been strangely absent. The Lord has blessed me with people that enter into my life for a while (for me to help or for them to help me... often a combination, as the Lord works in mysterious ways). It still aches (very deep) that my long-time friends seem to not be there for me, so I'm working through those feelings of resentment and onward to forgiveness.
Monday, March 7, 2011
I was looking through some of my blog posts, and I came across some posts that I wrote back in January and February but that apparently never posted. So, I thought I'd go ahead and share them (with the original date they were written in the titles).
Disclaimer: Nothing on this blog is intended as medical or legal advice.
What I write on this site is my own, and if it is someone else's, I take special care to attribute it to the original author. So, please don't use any of my material without proper attribution or permission. Thanks.